Did you know that homemade yogurt has been a natural, cost-effective, protein-rich and calcium building probiotic for thousands of years?
Ayurveda shares that the power of digestion (Agni) rests first and foremost in the small intestine and it’s supporting organs (liver, spleen, gallbladder).
Today, we are seeing an epidemic of imbalanced Agni or intestinal “malabsorption” issues characterized by digestive complaints, allergies and intolerance leading to chronic disorders of weight, pain, elimination, the skin, circulation and sleep.
Do You Have Malabsorption?
If you struggle with more than one of these symptoms you may have what Ayurveda considers “malabsorption”.
- stress, anxiety
- poor quality sleep
- low energy, feelings of depression
- inflammation, ulceration or a burning pain in the intestine
- variable appetite
- unpredictable or sensitive digestion
- intestinal gas, abdominal tension or bloating
- dry skin, cracked tongue, hemorrhoids
- poorly formed stool with undigested food particles and foul smell
- alternating dry stool and loose stool
- mucus in the stool
- abdominal discomfort, especially centred around the belly button area
- dull achy pain, heaviness and congestion
- spots or ridges on your fingernails
- weakness of the muscles and/or bones
- common low-grade infections
Causes of Malabsorption
Malabsorption can be brought on by the rushed and imbalanced daily choices of modern living; too complex or irregular diet, food which is too cold or too hot, too much raw or over-cooked food, too much sweet food, overeating or excessive fasting. And regular eating of a de-vitalized diet of canned, processed or packaged foods.
Malabsorption can also be brought on by the toxic strain of medicinal, over the counter and recreational drugs.
Those who are especially sensitive, overworked, stressed, struggling with sleep, lacking fresh air and exercise are the most at risk to suffer from malabsorption.
Easy Homemade Yogurt as a Natural Probiotic
A simple and effective treatment for malabsorption is to begin incorporating the gut-healthy benefits of fresh yogurt into your diet.
The natural bacteria of homemade yogurt (from fresh organic whole milk) are not only cleansing to the lining of intestinal tract, but these positive bacteria also help to repopulate the natural flora and fauna of digestion. The healthy protein and calcium rich qualities of yogurt also nourishes our muscle and bone strength.
It is very simple and satisfying to make homemade Yogurt. It’s a wonderful feeling to wake up in the morning and find your fresh batch of yogurt ready and waiting.
We do not recommend using commercial yogurt as it often has unnecessary added ingredients and is excessively cold and heavy in quality making it less suitable to help heal malabsorption. But if you must, ensure you source the best quality organic yogurt with no additives (only ingredients needed are milk and bacteria culture) and be sure to take it at room temperature.
You can find our easy recipe for homemade yogurt here ➤
Homemade Lassi to Heal Malabsorption
Lassi is a natural Indian buttermilk of homemade yogurt blended with fresh water and digestive-supporting spices that is the ideal way to take yogurt for overcoming malabsorption issues.
Homemade Lassi Recipe
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh yogurt (use less yogurt if you suffer from excess weight or mucus)
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- 1/4 tsp of ground cumin (helpful for gas and bloating)
- 1/4 tsp of ground coriander if you struggle with heat issues (gerd, acid reflux, inflammation)
- 1/4 tsp of dry ginger and/or black pepper for those with sluggish or heavy digestion (or overweight)
- Pinch of salt for those underweight (helps to build and hold nutritive water)
- Optional: 1/4 tsp of turmeric (another profound natural probiotic, antibiotic and digestive tonic)
Put the ingredients into a blender or shake in a jar with a lid. Blend for about a minute until foamy.
Sip your lassi warm or at room temperature after meals. Drinking lassi cold will douse your digestive fire. Not good…..
The Undeniable Benefits
Make lassi a part of your dietary routine. Try it daily (or at least 5 times a week) for 4-6 weeks.
Within days, you will begin to notice the benefits of reduced malabsorption; including ease of indigestion, heaviness, gas and bloating, reduction of aches, pains and digestive upset leading to an increase of energy, uplifted mood and improved sleep.
And with time you can experience the far-reaching benefits of sound digestive absorption including weight regulation, temperature normalization and ease of elimination and menstrual discomfort. Along with the increased vitality through the gut-healthy natural protein and calcium that fresh yogurt provides.
Source: Ayurvedic Healing: A Comprehensive Guide by Dr. David Frawley
NOURISH YOUR AGNI
You can learn more about Agni and how to diagnose and balance your Digestive Fire here ➤