Dal is the ideal base for a gentle digestive reset, spring detox, fall cleanse or to build and rejuvenate.
Split yellow mung-dal are soothing and building while being particularly easy to digest for the most sensitive tummy.
Do not confuse split yellow mung-dal with yellow split peas which take much longer to cook and are more drying and gas causing. Or with whole mung beans which still contain their green husk (though these are ideal for sprouting).
Our Favourite Basic Dal Recipe
Dal (split mung-dal soup) is an ideal base for any Vata, Pitta or Kapha diet. There is much scope with dal for creative flavours and Ayurvedic Healing based on the particular use of spices, herbs and veggies.
- Split Yellow Mung Dal – 1 cup
- 2 tbsp of ghee
- 2 tbsp thin slivers of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 1 lime
- 3-5 cups of hot water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: add a pod of black cardamom for a rich and earthy flavour
- Optional: tbsp of tomato paste (adds depth of flavour – skip for pitta cleanse)
- Optional: fresh chopped herbs (cilantro, parsley)
- Rinse the mung dal well – until the water runs clear
- Warm ghee in a large soup pot on medium heat
- Add ginger and cumin (optional tomato paste) and gently saute until you can smell the aroma. 1- 2 minutes. Be careful to not fry the ginger or burn the cumin.
- Mix in mung dal and stir to coat
- Add enough hot water to cover the dal plus an extra inch – stir.
- Monitor and add more hot water as required to make a soup consistency.
- Simmer until mung dal is soft and well cooked – approx 30 min.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with lime juice and fresh chopped herbs.
- Serve with fresh cooked rice, a dollop of yogurt or chutney and a drizzling of ghee….
- Makes a quick and satisfying soup to serve with your favourite sandwich or salad.
- Add 1 ½ cups of rinsed rice to make a nourishing kitcharee.
Sourcing Yellow Split Mung (Moong) Dal
You should be able to find split yellow mung dal at your local indo-asian grocer, in the international or health food section of your grocery store.
Here is a great online option for organic yellow moong dal in Canada (with free shipping options).